Tuesday, August 12, 2008

Can't think of a title....anyone got one?

Well, we went to the dr. this morning to get Asher's belly checked out because it looked "irregular". Our appointment was at 10:15 this morning and we got home at nearly 1:00 in the afternoon. We didn't see his doctor rather we saw the nurse practioner today. They came into the room asked several questions and then proceeded to do the regular exam on him with a little bit of pushing and poking his tummy (which he didn't like at all). After the examination was over we were told to go over to Beebe Medical Campus (the outpatient lab potion of Beebe Hospital) and get blood work done and an x-ray on his abdomen.
For those of you that don't have kids, trying to get blood from an almost 15 month old is pretty near impossible. I had to sit in the chair with him and cross my legs over his to keep him from squirming and hurting any further. It pained me SO much to see him get poked with a needle, but I just kept reminding myself that it was for his own good, and that it was necessary if we were to find out what is wrong with him.
The x-ray was a little better, but I still had to hold his hands above his head and hold his legs down so they could get a good "picture" of his belly. He did NOT like that at all.
After that ordeal was over we went home (thankfully). I know it was not under the best of circumstances, but I got some cuddles from him, so I can't complain.

Now, let me back up. The reason that we went to the dr. in the first place was because Kent and I had noticed his belly looking "irregular", but honestly didn't think anything of it. Asher has always had a good appitite, so I didn't think anything of it. I just chalked it up to him liking to eat. So, then there were two people at the daycare that mentioned that it looked like there was a possible hernia or something, so they requested that we get it checked out. Then, the last couple days, Asher has been really fussy and waking up at the same time a night screaming in pain. (I sat up with him in the rocking chair, and again, got cuddles from him). On top of that, the last two days has been throwing up alot latley. Yesterday, I was noticing it was un-digested, so that really worried me.

Now, back to our appointment today. As we were in the office waiting on the nurse to come back into the room after consulting with the doctors as to what to do with this situation. They also said there WAS a little concern about a hernia or some kind of blockage. The reason we went to get the bloodwork done was to make sure everything was normal, and the x-ray on his belly to make sure that was no blockage. The nurse told us that when they get the results back they will give us a call, and if there is not a blockage then they will probably send us up to A.I.Dupont (which is a really good Children's Hospital in Wilmington) for a sonogram. (Apparantley, they don't do sonograms for hernia's around here 'children's hernia's anyway')

Sorry for some of the graphic words I used in some of the description.

Well, we had a very productive day otherwise, so that was good.

In the middle of the afternoon, early evening, he was feeling better and hadn't thrown up since that morning and wanted to go outside, so we had our first experience with sidewalk chalk. Let me tell you. He loved it. Pictures in the next post, coming soon.

0 comments: