Thursday, October 30, 2008

My surgery and another Asher update....

Well, as I have been scolded (LoL) for not updating in a timely manner, I thought it best to put an update on here. So, here it goes.
As many of you know I had surgery on my mouth on Tues. Oct. 28th to extract on of my salivary glands. It all started about a month or so ago (right before we went into the hospital with Asher) when I noticed a lump under my tounge and didn't know what it was. I then went to my primary care physician who thought maybe it was a gland stone (my gland was blocked an therefore caused a big lump about the size a a lima bean under my tounge--fun stuff huh?), so then they told me to suck on lemon candy and they put me on amoxicillin and said if it is not better in about 10 days than I would probably need to go to the denist to see what the next step would be. Well, wouldn't you know, nothing that I tried worked, nor did the amoxicillin. I went to the oral surgeon and he drained it and all that. Didn't find a stone or anything, but he drained and got the lump taken care of. We thought that was the end of that.
Well, then Asher was admitted up at Dupont and well, he was more important and so my mouth kinda got put on the backburner. They ran A LOT of tests on him, and are not done yet, as they still have not figured out what is wrong. His nuetrophil level is back up to normal level, but his Alkaline Phospotate level is now extremley elevated. It is usually supposed to be about 250-300, and his is at 1600. They are going to send us for more bloodwork to find out why/ and if his level is still elavated.
Now, back to my mouth. The lump came back about a week ago and so I went to my physician and then went back to the oral surgeon who felt it best to send me for surgery to get the gland taken out. Well, once in surgery the surgeon noticed that it wasn't the salivary gland that he thought it was. It was actually the gland futher back that was VERY swollen and wasn't secreting what it needed to (which is why it was getting blocked), so what he ended up doing was making another incision in the little tube thingy that secrets. so that it will do what it is supposed to. Well, as of right now, my throat is EXTREMELY sore (because of the breathing tube that I had in while I was in surgery) and because the gland that was swollen and the surgeon added the other incision. So, I am on Vicodin, Motrin, and Amoxicillin (to avoid any more swelling, and to avoid infection)
Well, if it's not one thing it's another right. Please continue to pray for Asher as there is still certainly some issues or something going on internelly to cause his levels to elevate the way they do, but I don't know. I just hope they find something soon.

I will update more later. I hope this answers all the questions that everyone has. If you have any more, don't hesitate to ask.

1 comments:

Anonymous said...

ok, now i am satisfied. it is important for you to keep me updated on everything you do, including but not limited to: how many times you are urinating each day, how many times you pick your nose, when you shower, when you do laundry, how often asher goes poopoo and which channels on tv you are watching. HAHAHA
just kidding, i am thankful for th eupdate tho, you are always in our prayers and your family! Love ya
jineen